The Washtenaw Saints are a Christian tackle football team serving the Washtenaw County area. The Saints are characterized by the following:
- Building Godly character
- Encouraging healthy camaraderie
- Turning boys into strong/confident men of faith
Here are the details for the upcoming 2020 season:
- Team: Washtenaw Saints; tackle football for 8th graders thru Seniors.
- Framework: The Saints have a Christian framework. As such, we encourage the cultivation of Godly character on and off the field.
- Season: We’re planning to play 8 games; 5 at the JV level & 3 at the varsity level; most games Thurs nights or Saturday afternoons.
- Opponents: Firm games include 3 public school JV teams (Huron River Rats, Madison/Adrian Trojans, Whitmore Lake Trojans), 1 private school JV team (Bishop Foley Ventures JV), and 3 independent Christian varsity teams.
- Home Field: Our home field is Saline Middle School, Saline, MI (Crabtree Field).
- Travel: Our away games are all within 1 hour of our practice field except 1 in Grand Rapids.
- Practices: Begin 8/3/20 at Domino’s Farms, by US-23 and M-14, Mon/Tues/Thurs & some Fridays; 6pm start.
- Ages: 8th grade thru seniors
- Clarification: There is an Ann Arbor Saints tackle football team, unrelated, at the middle school level.
- Safety: Due to our broad age range, we tend to limit game participation accordingly to ensure safety; against JV teams we limit the positions of our older players; against Varsity teams our youngest players are in learning mode with very limited playing time.
- Cost: $300 for earlybirds by 5/1/2020 plus fundraising component; $350 after that.
- Fundraising Requirement: We are getting new helmets this season; each player is responsible for a fundraising component (e.g., work a concession stand at UM stadium, etc.).
- Family participation: Each family needs to help out with the home games; jobs include ticket collection, concessions stand, chain gang, announcer, clock, etc.; players with special circumstances may request to be excused; bottom line: many hands make the burden light.
- Head Coach: Coach Kirk Parrish is returning for his 2nd year as head coach. He will be joined by multiple assistant coaches.
- To register: Go to www.cal-a.net (registration set to begin soon).
This is the Washtenaw Saints booster site, sponsored by Calvary Chapel Ann Arbor. Note that the Washtenaw Saints are an independent Christian ministry, supported and encouraged by many churches.